SQL Database Training
Have your staff trained in the areas where they need it most in order to be the more effective members of your team.
We create tailored training courses for our clients to meet the particular needs of their developers, support staff and power users.
We offer on site SQL Database training courses on:
- Microsoft® SQL Server®
- Amazon Redshift
How we work
After discussions with your staff we select the areas that our clients feel are required. The examples and problems we use in the training are drawn from those they encounter in their everyday environment. The delivery method and timetable is chosen according to your particular situation. We can deliver training on-site or via web meetings and it can be in a block or staggered over weeks or even months.
Each session can further be tailored by:
- setting the level of the content (beginners, intermediate, advanced)
- focusing attendee's role, developer, power user, support staff etc.
- focusing on database role: Online transaction processing (OLTP) or reporting and data warehouses
- focusing on areas attendee's wish to develop in or problem areas where better understanding is required
Topics that can be included are:
- Selects with Search Conditions
- Update, Insert and delete
- Data types
- Joins and Views
- String, date and time functions
- Built in Aggregate functions, group by, having, order by and union
- Mathematical functions
- System Functions
- Ranking Functions
- Functions and Stored procedures
- Arithmetic and Bitwise operators
- Keys, constraints, indexes and indexed/materialised views
- Common Table Expressions
- Transactions, transaction isolation and Locking (+ deadlocking)
- GUI & Command line tools
- Database design
- Database Query Optimisation Techniques
- System tables and SQL Profiling
- Database load testing
- Object-relational mapping
Training for Support Staff
When working on security system for a major international bank it became apparent that the developers were having to spend a lot of their time fielding calls as new features were added. Most of these calls were down to requests for information and access to audit trails from the support and compliance staff. All the information was in the database however the system administration side lagged behind the main functionality at each major release.
We created a bespoke course for the support and compliance staff one at a beginners level and another at an intermediate level. These were staggered so that the help desk was never left unattended.
The courses explained both the way data was stored and how to access it, with a high emphasis on practical demonstration. This was followed by examples which the staff were able to work though at their own pace. The course was tailored to the level of database knowledge the staff had. It gave them practical examples of performing tasks that they would use on a day-to-day basis, as well as the knowledge to be able to adapt the examples to specific requirements. One attendee was stunned that work he had previously been doing in Excel and which took two days to complete could be retrieved in under 20 seconds with a view that was part of one of the courses exercises.
As a result of the course the support staff learnt about how the database was designed and used in production, how to discover changes and were able to be part of the process to create a suite of views that became part of the production system. The amount of interruptions for information reduced significantly.
Talk to us to see how you can enjoy the benefit of targeted, effective training delivered to a flexible schedule.